Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lei Out 2009

Lei Out 2009 was perhaps one of the most fun tournaments I've ever experienced, despite the playing actually not being that fun.  I dropped the disc more times in one day than I dropped it all of last year.  I don't know what was going on with me.  But, aside from my lackluster playing, I still walked away from the weekend with a huge smile on my (newly tanned) face.

Where in the world will Kendra & Chicken lay-over?
It started in the Hartford airport.  Our flight was delayed enough that we risked not making our connection in Cincinnati, which was the last flight out to L.A.  The kind woman behing the counter, contemplated sending us through Atlanta or JFK instead, before she glanced over at the gate boarding next to us, and yelled, "Sue!  Don't close the door!"  Within 30 sec, we were ticketed and on our way to Orlando.  

The hotel is where??
I spent Thursday night with Alice Chen & Jill Hutchinson in Hermosa Beach.  On Friday, Chicken's friend graciously dropped us off at our hotel in Santa Monica.  I thought I'd booked us at the same place we were last year -- a mere 3 blocks from the Pier.  Nope...keep driving...farther...couple more blocks...instead of being on the water, we were 20 blocks inland.  I am very upset and cancel the 2nd night for both rooms, figuring we'll make other plans for Saturday night.

Enter alcohol and the clown car
Skip, Frank/Devin, and Anne Bosscher meet us at the hotel, and we all walk 20 blocks to the 3rd street promenade to find some food.  Mexican it is!  I order a double-margarita, then another.  Brown, Tyson, Megan, and Jessi Witt eventually find their way to us.  Introductions are made, and rounds of shots are ordered.  The time comes to head back to the hotel, and Skip, who probably regretted his offer later, suggested we all pile into the cargo van he and Frank had driven down from Seattle, full of Cultimate supplies, including three 42-inch flat screen TVs.  A game of human jenga ensues, and we fill every person-sized crevice with a body.  Megan drives, as she is apparently the only one sober enough to do so.  The parking garage of the hotel is underground, replete with cement pillars lining every other parking spot.  Megan misjudged the corner...and slammed the side of the van into a pillar, leaving streaks of yellow paint on the white side.  No good deed goes unpunished.

More drinking in the hotel room.  Tyson gets ice and dumps it all over the floor.  Skip decides to wrestle me; I don't know who won, but I had more bruises, carpet burns, and bite marks...so he probably did.  The silent Chris Rupp shows up and probably wonders what he's gotten himself into.  We retire to bed late/early.  Brown spoons me and Chicken briefly.

Enter the Sandking
We got a late start, as we didn't account for how long it would take to cram the 10 people we had back into the clown car, and therefore didn't have time to stop for breakfast.  Alex Snyder proves to be a great teammate, bringing us McDonalds.  Jodi Dozono and Mike Namkung meet us at the fields; Mike proves to be unaffected by the sand, as he makes play after play, catch after catch, scores goal after goal.  My catching is off; I try to blame the shots from the night before, but I run out of excuses.  I take a nap in the shade during our bye, then go find people. Hammer, Lauren Casey, Lori, McT, Margo, Claire Mowbry, Dana Gerrits, Miller, Bethany, Kegan & Martha, KB, and Kari DeLeeuw are just some of the people I see. We win all our games rather handily, despite my best efforts to not catch things.

Hotel roullette
The new plan for Saturday had been to stay at Frank/Devin's aunt's apartment, or something, but it turns out we can't all stay there.  Tyson steps up with his iPhone, and makes reservations at a one-star motel "about 2 miles from the beach".  We pile into the van & the back of Mike's truck and head out there.  I swear we drove 10 miles -- in any case, it was more than 2.  The place is a dump.  The rooms are barely bigger than the solitary bed in each, which is not the queen as advertised, and the floor is tile.  We try to get a refund, but not before we take "shits & showers".  As we discuss bailing on the place and reserving a suite downtown for $250 that Jessi subsequently finds, a truck pulls into the parking lots and lumbers towards us.  On the side, in faded paint, reads "Pick Your Tool".  The driver's door opens.  Three empty beer cans tumble out, followed by the driver, who wobbles as he stoops down to pick up the cans.  With that, we are decided: get the hell out of here and head to the Georgian.

From ghetto to pimp
The Georgian is on Ocean Drive, just across from the pedestrian bridge.  The Georgian is 4-star. The Georgian has a suite.  The Georgian has valet parking.  The Georgian is carpeted.  The Georgian is my new favorite place in Santa Monica.  Stumbling distance to/from the party & beach.  It was day to the Pavilion Motel's night.  We are all happy with our decision.  Pre-gaming ensues.  Chicken tries to teach us the Soljda Boy dance ("Superman that ho!").  

Rule #1: never run out of Colt. 45
Colt .45 is a sponsor of the tournament, and I get handed two tall boys of the stuff upon entering. I see Mia, Steffi, Allison.  I find Tucker, and spend most of the night talking with him.  Seth Wiggins says hi, and that we need Fetch.  I say I saw Cody?; he says Cody is a poor-man's Fetch.  Not much dancing for me.  A lot of hanging out, and drinking.  I don't remember the walk home very well.  I do remember stopping for ice cream (mint chocolate chip).  I apparently borrowed Tucker's pull-over, and fell into a bush.  Good times.

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday
I wake up with scratches I don't remember (from the bush).  Breakfast.  More food-squirelling.  We win our first game, and are up 7-4 in our second...before the wheels fall off and we lose to Car Bomb, 8-11.  Suck.  A dip in the ocean, some socializing.  I watch/heckle the shit-show that was the Dragon J vs. Marmalade consolation game.  I am introduced to warm grape Four. Then we play Schtick in the sand.  So. Much. Fun.  I am good at defense, but not offense.  Lunch.  Back to the fields.  We missed the final, but heard it wasn't that good.  Say hello/good-bye to Matt Welsh, BVH, Webster.  We invent a new game: Sandal Clash.  We barely get Frank/Devin to the airport on time.  I decide to rent a hotel room near the airport, as I am too exhausted to find anyone else to hang out with.  Anne, Chris, Chicken, & Skip come shower, then we meet Chicken's friend for dinner.  Anne & Chris get on their plane; Skip & I pass out in the room, exhausted from much sun, sand, fun, & drinking.

7 Comments:

At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

 
At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching as far as something that meticulous make. The prices seeking the sneakers are approximately 200 dollars on every site. But completely I bring about this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order these. what do you think?

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good evening friends. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging for the sake of that particular model. The prices for the sneakers are around 180 bucks on every site. But definitively I set this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase these. what can you say about it?

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching as far as something that meticulous brand. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are about 170 bucks everwhere. But finally I set this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I really want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase those. what can you say about it?

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching for that meticulous brand. The prices for the sneakers were all over 250 pounds on every site. But finally I found this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase these. what can you tell me about these?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home